Fix connections to the printer in windows 10
It’s obvious to face technical issues with the printer while working with them. The common printer problems can be due to many reasons like old printer drivers or certain hardware issues. Windows 10 can provide many helpful ways to fix connection issues with printers. This guide details some of the certain connection issues and their fixes.
Perform Hardware Check:
The hardware issues always arise when the printer is used too much. For fixing up the hardware issues, you must check the following points:
- You need to check if your cables are broken or damaged at some point and ensure that it is connected to your computer.
- You also need to check if your printer requires a manual start or not. Modern printers display signs showing their warnings and issues.
- Ensure that your printer is dust free and as the dirt can affect the working of your printer.
- If you have your printer on a shared network, you must ensure that the cables are connected properly and the routers are working.
- For a wireless printer, check and ensure that all the wireless options are turned on.
The Printer Troubleshooter run
Simply troubleshooting can fix a lot of things by downloading and running a printer troubleshooter for your printer. This fixes issues related to installing and connection to printers. Printer troubleshooter Link opens in a browser page and downloads dialog. Select Open and follow the steps mentioned in the troubleshooter.
Power cycle your printer
Turn off your printer and unplug it. After waiting for 30 seconds, plug back your printer and then restart your printer.
Ensure that your printer is turned on and has proper connections.
- Check if the printer is plugged into an electrical outlet properly and the power switch is turned on. Also, ensure all computers and routers on a shared network are turned on.
- Check if all the cable connections are proper for wired printers. Also, ensure if USB cable of the printer is properly connected from the printer to your PC.
- For wireless printers, check the wireless connection by:
- Checking if the wireless options are available and powered on the printer. A blue wireless icon is displayed in most of the printers whenever a wireless connection option for the printer is available.
- If needed, run the printer’s wireless connectivity test from the menu option.
Update the printer’s drivers
As the printers require a printer driver to work efficiently, it is possible that your current printer driver has not been updated from one version of Windows to another. There is a possibility of the drivers being damaged due to power surges or other technical problems or maybe a virus.
To resolve such driver issues, you require downloading and installing the latest driver for your printer. You can download the latest driver by using windows update, installing software from the printer manufacturer and downloading and installing the driver yourself.
Most of the printer drivers are self-installing once they are downloaded by just double-clicking the file to start the installation. If you download a driver which is unable to install by itself, you should install it following start →settings → device manager→ printers → update driver→ Browse my computer for driver software → next. You will then be asked to enter your admin password or confirm.
If the driver is unable to get installed still, you will have to try removing and reinstalling the driver to ensure that the damaged or any corrupted devices are replaced.
Clear and restart the print spooler
A print spooler file manages the printing process and if all the above fixes are not helping, you will have to clear the spooler files and then restart the spooler using the steps below:
- Services from the given list.
- Follow to select the Standards tab, print spooler will be displayed on the list of services, double-click on it.
- Select Stop and then OK.
- Type and enter %WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers in the search box on the taskbar, select the file and then delete all files in the folder.
- Go to taskbar and type Services in the search box, and then select Services from the given list.
- Again, select the Standards tab, print spooler will be displayed on the list of services, double-click on it.
- Select Start and then Automatic in the Startup Type box
- select OK and you are done.
Change the status of the printer to online
An offline printer status does not let the printer to communicate with your PC. Try to check if the printer is turned on and connected to the Wi-Fi network of your PC.